Spezielle Optimierungen für den Internet Explorer 11 stehen noch an. Bitte nutzen Sie derweil zur besseren Ansicht einen aktuelleren Browser wie z.B. Firefox, Chrome
Back to the overview / search
Assessment of Sustainable Provision of Goods and Services from Grassland-based Systems
Grasslands provide a broad range of ecosystem services. This role of grasslands for sustainable development is however largely neglected.
The aims of this project are to
- Make the importance of ecosystem services of grassland beyond food provision and carbon sequestration visible and
- Assess existing data and identify data gaps on state and trends of grasslands for provision of these ecosystem services.
A) Improve global data sets on grassland quality in terms of protein and gross energy for the SOL model
B) co-organise an e-forum on sustainable grasslands
C) General literature review and synthesis on
- the environmental status of grasslands, management types and management influences
- various ecosystem services provided by grasslands
- the management options that support ecosystem provision and reduce degradation
- the role of those services for regional/national/global economies and sustainable development
D) Illustration with national case studies; suggestions are
- Kenya, large developing country, with a wide range of different grassland types, good data availability (to be checked in detail)
- USA, large developed country, with a wide range of different grassland types, good data availability.
E) Scientific review paper on the “The Neglected Green Wealth of Nations – The Role of Grasslands for Sustainable Development”
F) Identify data collection needs in FAOSTAT related to grassland use, their environmental status and ecosystem services.
- Food and Agriculture Organisation of the Untied Nations (FAO)
FiBL project leader/ contact FiBL project staff
(people who are not linked are former FiBL employees)
Role of FiBL
Koordination und Durchführung
FiBL project number