Five universities from South Eastern Europe that are engaged in teaching in organic farming have joined the project, which is sponsored by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) and coordinated by FiBL. SCOPES is a SNSF programme for research collaboration with Eastern European Countries and the new independent States of the former Soviet Union.
At the meeting, the work for the coming three years was planned and a number of decisions were taken. The principal aim is to substantially improve training in organic agriculture at the universities involved. Specifically, existing B.Sc. curricula will be developed to incorporate best practice from current courses at international and Swiss universities. Lecturers will benefit from advanced training, continuing education and knowledge exchange. As a first step, a questionnaire about existing courses offered by the partners will ask lecturers and students to comment.This survey will be evaluated. Options and opportunities to develop and utilise a common e-leaning tool and supporting material will then be assessed.
The next project workshop is scheduled for June 2013. It will be hosted by the Agricultural University of Plovdiv (AUP) in Bulgaria.
The six project partners
- Faculty of Agriculture & Environment, FAE, Agricultural University of Tirana (AUT), Albania
- Department of Crop Protection (CP), Faculty of Agriculture & Environment (FAE). Agricultural University of Tirana, AUT, Albania
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Faculty of Agriculture & Food Science (FAFS), University of Sarajevo (US), Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Department of Agrochemistry & Soil Science (ACHSS), Agricultural University of Plovdiv (AUP), Bulgaria
- Department of Entomology, Faculty of Plant Protection & Agroecology (PPAE), Agricultural University of Plovdiv (AUP), Bulgaria
- Department of Ecological & Sustainable Production Systems (ESPS), Corvinus University of Budapest (CUB), Hungary
- Republic of Kosovo
- Faculty of Agriculture & Veterinary Sciences (FAV), University of Prishtina (UP), Republic of Kosovo
- Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Switzerland (project coordinator)
- Prof. Dr. Urs Niggli, Director FiBL Frick
- Dr. Bernhard Sander, FiBL Frick
- snf.ch: Website of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)
- snf.ch: Eastern Europe: SCOPES (Scientific co-operation between Eastern Europe and Switzerland)