The conference, inviting participants from the large West African region, will be held in Bamako and will start on 5 December 2017 and run for two days. The core issues are the institutionalization of Ecological Organic Agriculture (EOA) in West Africa and opportunities to create employment and investment. Six sub-themes have been selected and will be presented and debated at the conference:
- Institutionalization of ecological organic agriculture in national and sub-regional policies;
- Contribution of research on ecological organic agriculture to food security and poverty reduction;
- Ecological adaptation to climate change, based on practices, know-how and scientific research;
- Access mechanisms and seed governance for organic and ecological agriculture: what are the risks related to biotechnology?;
- Market research and development of value chains;
- Mechanisms for the exchange of experience between members of national and sub-regional networks.
The reflections will focus on
- Integration of EOA activities into national and sub-regional policies;
- Development of EOA production standards to promote product competitiveness and trade;
- Development of lobbying and marketing advocacy tools for better visibility of EOA products;
- Development of relations between members of national and sub-regional networks.
According to the African Union, Ecological Organic Agriculture is a holistic production system by design that sustains the health of ecosystems (particularly the soils), the livelihood security of people (labourer mainly; farmer to consumer), strengthens communities and societies and relies on functional (material, symbolic) cycles adapted to local conditions, rather than the use of synthetic inputs which have adverse effects on total health (human, animal, plant and environmental). Regeneration is a key principle; certification is not a requirement. This production form is promoted on the African continent in order to make the best use of both organic farming and agroecology.
- Seydou Tangara, Association des Organisations Professionelles Paysannes (AOPP)
Conference coordinator, e-mail seytangara(at)yahoo.fr
- Gian Nicolay, FiBL Switzerland
Registration and more information
aebmali.org: Website "Ecological and Organic Agriculture (AEB)"